Tuesday 14 July 2015

Coming to Terms with Theoretical Frameworks

Trying to decide on which exit approach to take for the MALAT program is a difficult choice. On one hand, I am excited about a couple of different research questions that I have been toying with since the start of this course. I can see how interesting it would be to pursue one of these ideas in the Thesis stream and the potential benefits that the outcome of my research may provide.  On the other hand, I really like the course options that are available to take through the Research Paper stream and value the new knowledge that I would take away from these courses. It's a tough choice... and one that I am not fully prepared to make at this time. Thankfully, we have until November!

What I did find interesting in tonight's Collaborate live session was finding out more about what a theoretical framework is. My understanding is that a theoretical framework is what guides or grounds your research. According to one web author, Stephen Borgatti, a theoretical framework "is a collection of interrelated concepts... (that) guides your research, determining what things you will measure, and what statistical relationships you will look for" (Borgatti, 1999).

Elizabeth and Deb provided some great insight insight into what we can look for when trying to establish a theoretical framework for a thesis or research paper. They suggested to look to theories or concepts around categories such as online learning, mobile learning, engagement, epistemologies, technology, motivation, adult learning etc. They also provided a list of helpful tools and resourcces to gain a better understanding of theoretical frameworks. I'm going to list them here to help both myself and others find them again in the future.



References:
Borgatti, S. (1999). Elements of research. Retrieved from http://www.analytictech.com/mb313/elements.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment