Thursday 25 June 2015

Importance of Understanding Personal Epistemology

Epistemology is defined as "the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity" (Merriam-Webster.com, 2015). As I begin my journey in mindful inquiry, I believe it is important to start with a clear understanding of what my personal epistemological perspective is. Why is this important? It is important because today's research methods are no longer independent of epistemology. "They reflect fundamentally different ideas of what knowledge is, what it looks like, how it is obtained, how it is validated, and what it is for" (Bentz & Shapiro, 1998, p. 33).

 As a budding researcher, I need to be consciously aware of the underlying epistemology of the different cultures of inquiry in order to utilize their methods appropriately. That also means I have a responsibility to understand my personal epistemology and its potential effects on my research. I need to "take responsibility not only for producing knowledge but for knowing why it is knowledge and defining what knowledge is and integrating it into one's self..." (Bentz & Shapiro, 1998, p.34).

So let me begin this journey of mindful inquiry with a clear statement of my personal epistemology. I am a constuctivist with a strong bend towards social constructivism. I believe that knowledge is created through the collection and dissemination of information. It is a process that is affected by the availability of information, the environment in which it is found, past and present experiences, personal beliefs/values and the societal influence of my peers. In other words, knowledge is created by what we do with the information in our environment; it does not just exist. My bend towards social constructivism can be seen in my belief that knowledge creation works best by engaging the social element, but I also believe that it can occur on an individual level through direct interaction.

References: 

Bentz, V.M. & Shapiro, J.J. (1998). Mindful inquiry in social research. Thousand Oaks, CA:Sage. Retrieved from the    Ebscohost e-book database. 
Epistemology. (2015). In Merriam-Webster's online dictionary. Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epistemology
Tagul. (2015). Epistemology [image]. Retrieved from https://tagul.com/show/mmwnayyrpzo3/Epistemology

3 comments:

  1. From one constructivist to another - well said!
    From the cultural contexts I have been a part of over the last ten years teaching overseas I have become quite the pragmatic constructivist - hoping the pragmatic influence will be able to dissipate with time.

    It seems as though firmly establishing and taking into account our personal epistemological view is a necessary before meaningful and relevant research can begin. This makes a lot of sense when you really think about it :)

    I can also relate to your social constructivism views - teaching in an ESL environment, the more the students are talking and discussing, the more they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about how your desire for social interaction as a tool for learning can be leveraged for those more introverted types such as myself. To develop comfort in a group environment I often need to have already established trust in some way and am curious as to how you implement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great question! Social does not always have to be face to face. When it is, I like to build the social interaction gradually within a class. I often start with team building activities targeting trust specifically.

    ReplyDelete